Friday, January 8, 2010

The Hominy Grill - Charleston, South Carolina - State No. 28


This post is beginning at the end, but it's about to jump back to the start and maybe slalom back and forth into whirlpool of chronological order that no one, not even me, the author, can understand.
Why start at the end?
It's certainly not because I am acting like a highly effective person and Beginning with the End in Mind.  I write a blog called Pics of Me in Front of Stuff; I am pretty sure that immediately eliminates me from the Steven Covey's effective army.  I am featuring this picture taken as we were leaving South Carolina because CP felt I needed documentation that we drove through South Carolina and into Georgia.  She's the Chief Photographer, who am I to argue?  So she bent around the seat, possibly while I tried to grab her ass and distracted me from driving to snap a photo of the South Carolina sign.  Since we had started this road strip by flying into Charleston there was no other opportunity to see a sign declaring we were in the Palmetto State.
 CP and I arrived in Charleston on a warm December night.  We ventured out from our hotel for a late dinner since most airlines with airfare cheap enough for me no longer find it necessary to feed their passengers.  That turned out to be fortuitous because Charleston is filled with fantastic restaurants.  I am not nor will I ever claim to be a foodie.  They are a unique breed that get off on finding and savoring delicious food.  They watch Anthony Bourdain for what he eats.  Naturally, they probably assume I am a weirdo for wandering New Jersey and the rest of the country looking for random artifacts in front of which I can be photographed.  I watch Anthony Bourdain for the unique places he visits.  Foodies probably think I am some kind of weirdo.
Touche', foodies.
I would like to suggest a place to eat thanks to that late dinner.  Our walk into the warm Charleston night became a trip to the Hominy Grill.  I believe it may be the World Famous Hominy Grill.
If it wasn't, it is now.

This is actually the following evening, a Sunday evening since the Hominy Grill is not open for dinner on Sundays.  That's the only reason no one is lined up outside waiting to get some fantastic food.  Zigging back in chronological order I'll try and describe just how fantastic the food  that I ate the night before the picture above was taken starting with the She-Crab Soup.  I highly recommend it.

I was unaware that she-crab soup was something of a staple in restaurants in Charleston.  It should be a staple everywhere or at least the Hominy Grill's should be a staple everywhere.  If I had known she-crabs were so delicious I would have started eating them a long time ago.  The delicious soup was soon followed by our main courses: shrimp and grits for me and low country purloo for CP.

Far from being a grits connoisseur or really any kind of connoisseur, I feel required to say these were the best grits I have ever had.  The fact that they were the first grits I have ever had should be ignored because this food was fantastic. Grits reminded me of poi, but minus the wallpaper paste flavor.  I am no foodie so do not look for any kind of fancy descriptive language for the flavors these delicacies ignited on my taste buds.  Wallpaper paste is about as descriptive as I get.  I am more of a poop joke kind of guy although not a poop joke connoisseur.  Let's just say it was delicious and you should go eat there.  Thanks to this meal the Hominy Grill earned the Pics of Me in Front of Stuff Seal of Approval.

0 comments: