Monday, March 2, 2009

Washington Crossing State Park - PA and NJ

A long, long time ago in a land not so far away a brave man led a ragtag group of rebels to victory over an unbeatable empire. This rebellion was not made possible by a moisture farmer from Tatooine hitting a target the size of a womp rat and thereby destroying the enemy's superweapon. The man was George Washington on Christmas 1776, led the Continental Army from Pennsylvania across the Delaware River in New Jersey to attack Hessians stationed in Trenton.
Here is what Emanuel Leutze thought the event looked like:



It was also depicted in marble in Washington Crossing, PA.

Over 200 years later, I found myself walking along the Delaware River from the Washington Crossing State Park Visitor's Center to a site marking the graves of several unknown soldiers who had lost their lives in the harsh winter conditions.

View Larger Map


Most of the hiking was done along a muddy, uneventful path that followed the Delaware River and the Delaware Canal. You'll have to take my word that it was uneventful because I took exactly zero pictures along that muddy path. I say to boo to whomever said it is the journey instead of the destination, You will get no journey and like it. Regardless of the journey content included in this post, I did include a photo of the monument to the brave Continental Soldiers.





Unfortunately, for every hike out to a grave of Revolutionary War Soldiers from the Visitors Center of Washington Crossing State Park in PA there is a return hike along the same muddy path. It was a long, muddy return trip that eventually led to the real reason I visited Washington Crossing State Park - to get my photo in front of some monument. As it just so happened, there were two monuments to pose next to, one for each side of the Delaware River that Washington crossed.

Here's where I started and Washington ended on the NJ side:

Here's where I ended and Washington started on the PA side:

Thank God for George and his brave soldiers who gave me the freedom to write things like this!

0 comments: