Friday, July 31, 2009

L.L. Bean Store - Freeport, ME

There are too few opportunities in my life to demonstrate my unique ability to recall the television and movies from my youth.

For some reason, I keep displaying my non-unique ability to poorly describe my trips to random places.

But back to something I am good at. You should have been there for my list of funny movie tuxedos which did not include The Tuxedo with Jackie Chan but did include:

Josh Baskin's (Tom Hanks) white tuxedo and tails from Big

Frank Dooley (John Candy) and Norman Kane's (Eugene Levy) wore in Armed and Dangerous

My feeling is it's forgotten classic. John Candy was never given a fair shake as an action hero.

Who can forget Harry and Lloyd's stunning tuxed-ification?

This movie taught me a lot about life or at least provides for lots of funny lines to quote for the rest of my life at inappropriate times.

Finally, there is bad boy Ricky Vaughn's sleeveless tuxedo from the baseball classic - Major League.

There was no help from Jobu making this list.

But you were probably not there for the truly hilarious first rendition.

It killed.

Your loss.

My expertise extends beyond fictional formal wear to Nickelodeon shows from the late 80s and early 90s, like Hey Dude. If you do not remember Hey Dude, Nickelodeon's first live-action television series, check out Wikipedia's synopsis.

I am too lazy to try and describe it myself. I already have 4 videos in this post! What else do you people want from me?!

One of my personal favorite exchanges of the entire series was between Melody (Christine Taylor, Ben Stiller's wife and Allentown, PA native) and Brad (Kelly Brown) where Melody, a fan of rap music (really?) challenges Brad the brunette debutante, to name a single rapper.

Gentlemen prefer blonds, but this blond prefers rappers.

Brad's responses:
Run DMV and LL Cool Bean!

Oh, those Nickelodeon writers and their wicked sense of humor!

Where am I going with this? There is no picture of me in front of anything so far.

Alright, here's the point. On the return half of Pics of Me in Front of Stuff's recent trip to the Pine Tree State, we stopped in Freeport, ME home of L.L. Bean Inc. Similar to the Chinese desire to keep the Mongols out of their territory with the Great Wall of China, the Beans wanted to keep moisture separated from their feet with a giant duck boot outside their factory store in Freeport. Unfortunately, the giant duck boot is not observable from space.

The store, or more accurately, the complex was a monument to everything Bean! If you wanted something labeled as L.L. Bean short of a bondage starter kit, you could find it at this store. I did not go into the S&M section, so it is possible I just missed it. I was too busy checking out the sandals and/or tents. On a beautiful, sunny Maine day we wandered inside amongst aisle after aisle of clothes equipment intended to be used outdoors. It was an interesting paradox...or maybe...a paradox boots...

0 comments: