Sunday, July 5, 2009

Maine in the Rain - Acadia National Park - Bar Harbor, Maine

I just returned from Hawaii and shaved off a week's worth of beard, but this post is not going mention those any further than the first half of this sentence. I am saving that for a few posts from now.

Consider that foreshadowing.

Look at me a using literary device. Next thing you know, I will be spitting out some alliteration or maybe an allusion.

Since most of these rambling collections of words are as understandable as Sarah Palin's reasons for resigning. it is time to get straight to the topic at hand:
Maine!
Truth be told, I will only be covering the first few rainy days we spent in one of The Pine Tree State's most well-known locales, Bar Harbor. If you are a frequent reader or if you scroll down a little bit, you will see I mentioned the town on Mount Desert Island previously on Pics of Me in Front of Stuff. While chronological order is usually one of my strong suits, I say nuts to chronology and I will describe events in whatever order I will see fit. I may or may not be describing my trip as a 5-year old to Disney Land in the near future. I may even describe it backwards. Stay tuned.

What is really going to happen is I will describe out first few soggy days including a rainy trip to Acadia National Park, which makes up a large portion of Mount Desert Island and is just down the road from Hanscom's Motel, Pics of Me in Front of Stuff's HQ while in Maine. All of this happened before I battled with the lobster, screw you chronological order. Like much of the East Coast in May and June, sunshine was at a premium in Maine. They were just not handing out many sunny days which affected not only my softball league's schedule, but also my vacation. Despite my cackling laugh, love of flying monkeys, and disdain for scarecrows, tinmen, and cowardly lions I do not melt when wet. However, driving for several hours in the pouring rain is a tiring process and I was grateful to finally reach Hanscom's, a small, lovely family owned motel outside of Bar Harbor, for a respite.

After a quick dinner made in our room's kitchenette (Pics of Me in Front Stuff does not pay), the Chief Photographer and I made a quick visit to the town of Bar Harbor to get the lay of the land and some ice cream cones. Even in the chilly rain and fog, Bar Harbor (or Bah Hah-Bah) is an idyllic little town. See just how much fog there was in the town harbor. I can imagine in the summer that the place is infested with Bostonians and the other denizens of the ESPN/SI created monster known as Red Sox Nation. Fortunately, as a World Phucking Champions supporter, I was not inundated with talk of Youk and Jason Bay. However, I was quite damp due to the poorly-timed precipitation.

Following our trip to town and a restful night of sleep at Hanscom's, the Chief Photographer and I visited Acadia National Park in hopes of exploring and possibly setting the stage for a sunnier return trip (ooh, more foreshadowing). We explored Sandy Beach, recommended to us by a friendly guide at the visitor center, and took a ery brief hike in the near vicinity. There I posed for pictures with things behind me.
Go figure.
From Sandy Beach we could see the Bee Hive, an Acadia Park landmark, as well as lovely views of the rocky coast. We dined on peanut butter and jelly while watching the tide rise and fall on the rocks. After the hike we drove around the main road through the park and eyed up some landmarks and views that required further examination during a sunny day. Even in the cloudy gloom Acadia and its vast array of rocky coasts and pine trees is a sight to behold. I would recommend everyone going sometime before they die to enjoy the beauty found there. Just imagine if I had seen it on a more pleasant day!

0 comments: