Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Long Pond Ironworks - Hewitt, NJ

Long Pond Ironworks State Park is located in Hewitt, New Jersey on land once owned by Peter Hansclever, just south of the NJ/NY border. The first half of the park consists of several hiking trails many of which border the Monksville Reservoir. Though the weather was warm, if a bit overcast on the on the day Pics of Me in Front of Stuff visited, the reservoir was frozen over and the ice's surface was dotted with ice fishermen. Some of us were not confident in the ice's thickness. Clearly, there was no need to worry about the safety of the fishermen and so the hike commenced near the shores of the horse shoe shaped reservoir. The hike was mostly uneventful, the usual hills and woods found in north Jersey. At about the midpoint of the trek, a side trail took Pics of Me in Front of Stuff to a wonderful view of the ice covered reservoir. Check it out below.

Thanks, Herr Hasenclever, for the awesome view!

The second half of Long Pond Ironworks State Park consists of the ruins of Peter Hasenclaver's iron plantation. Since these buildings had not been used since the mid-1800s, it is understandable that they have fallen into disrepair. I figure 150+ years from now, I can only hope I look half as good as these piles of rocks. Of course, 150+ years from now I hope I am dust in the wind. That's right, not only did I try to quote Poison but I also plan on being cremated when I die. You read it here first! Regardless of the plans for my remains, the ruins of the Long Pond Ironworks are beautiful in their own way. Like other piles of rubble, these represent the way things once were in our country. Sometimes what we learn is surprising. When was the last time you considered plantations in NJ? How about a plantation including neither cotton nor tobacco nor slaves from Africa? That was the iron planation of Herr Hasenclever. Other things I have learned are not so suprising. The Long Pong Ironworks were put out of business by the Pittsburgh steel industry...Damn you, Andrew Carnegie! Pittsburgh often ruins things, like the Super Bowl so who could be surprised that it ruined the burgeoning steel industry in north Jersey. However, if Pittsburgh had not caused this plantation to be shut down there may not be this lovely state park in New Jersey. Unfortunately, there is no bright side to Pittsburgh ruining the Super Bowl! My hurt football feelings aside, the path winding through these piles of rubble is a unique historic experience giving a view of industry in an era that is too often overlooked. I guess I am glad Pittsburgh ruined the steel industry there and gave me the opportunity to experience this walk through history.
Don't I look thrilled to be visiting these ruins?

Every manufacturer needs a power source and the Long Pond Ironworks was no different. That time period's power source happened to be running water. Never one to shy away from waterfalls (I have been to Niagara Falls three times!) or fast moving water so long as I do not have to swim in it I could not resist having my photo taken with what was once Peter Hasenclever's waterfall. I am the bright white spec to the left of the falls below.

It is no Niagara Falls. But then again, what is?

0 comments: