Thursday, November 19, 2009

Playoff Beard - Everywhere I went in October

There is facial hair

...and there are beards...

...and there are great beards!

That one helped to end the cold war!!!!  Aside from Abraham Lincoln and Santa Claus, there are few beards that match up to Sylvester Stallone's beard in Rocky IV.  Lincoln's beard helped to win the Civil War and freed the slaves.
Santa's beard helps bring joy and presents to children all over the world.  To top all of that Rocky's beard helped end the Cold War and prevented mutually assured destruction between the United States and the Soviet Union.

If I can change and you can change, everybody can change and maybe I can stop posting pictures and videos that were not captured by me or CP and get to the point.  The point is, like many great men before me, I grew a beard this October to help inspire the Fightin's onto consecutive World Championships for the first time in their 126 year history.  Blocking their way was the Evil Empire, the New York Yankees, a team composed of and cheered by many who had given up their souls in favor of baseball glory.  I am not saying all Yankees fans sold their souls, I am just saying there is a good chance the Devil does not just wear Prada, but he or she also wears pinstripes.  Tell me Yankees fans, does it hurt not having a soul?  My only basis for knowledge on this subject is the Simpsons. 
It takes a daring and possibly slightly unstable man to grow a beard for the baseball playoffs.   It takes a down right nut-job to grow a beard and wear the opposing team's hat into New York City when playing the Yankees.  All I can say is, look at that beardo.

It clearly takes an understanding woman like CP to put up with this shit.  Beards are not attractive, comfortable, or, in my case, sanitary.  Do you know how much food gets caught in there every meal?!  Not only does CP allow me to drag her retarded places and take my picture, but she also puts up with a beard followed by a month worth of mustache aka Movember.

The funny thing is, baseball players don't even grow beards.  Well, aside from the House of David baseball team, most don't.  Beards are for the hockey playoffs.  But consider this.  Hockey playoffs are played in the summer when the weather is warm and the players skate on melting ice in heavy sweaters and pads.  They sweat a lot in all that gear.  Having briefly lived with a hockey player in college I know just how awful those pads stink.  Baseball playoffs are played in the fall when the leaves are changing and the weather is starting to turn cold.  One of the games in the NLDS in Colorado was postponed due to wintry conditions.  So tell me why it makes more sense for hockey playoffs than the baseball playoffs?  In case you missed earlier this month, I eventually used the beard as part of my Halloween costume.  That was all CP's idea.  Isn't she smart?  I witnessed Game 3 of the World Series in the Village with a Phillies hat and a playoff beard.  Unfortunately, that night and the entire series did not work out in the Phillies' favor.  Yes, I know tthhhhhhhhheeeee Yankees won.  Yes, that is the most spectacularly bad call in the history of broadcasting.  I do not just mean after this World Series, I mean when the lame announcer says it after every Yankees win.  Yes, that is likely sour grapes coming.  Sadly, I had to take a long look in the mirror following Pedro's lackluster start in Game 6.
I had to say goodbye to the beard.

And say hello to the moustache.

Thanks to one of my many Steeler fan facebook friends for letting me steal his picture.  Also, don't fret, I'll get back to writing about weird places I have been soon.

1 comments:

e said...

You commented on the 20SB NYC meetup forum and I wanted to send you the info in case you are still interested in coming:

Friday Dec. 4th 10pm
Fat Cat NYC (http://www.fatcatmusic.org/)
75 Christopher St (at 7th ave)
212-675-6056

It's not an "official" meet up so there won't be a sign or anything like that, just keep an eye out for people who may look familiar from 20SB!

Spread the info to any other fellow NYC 20SBers you may know =)

ps, could you either comment back or message me on 20SB if you think you'll make it?