Saturday, February 6, 2010

Gladys Knight and Ron Winans' Chicken and Waffles - Atlanta Georgia

Before Pics of Me in Front of Stuff was even a glimmer in my eye, I visited Georgia with the Official Family of Pics of Me in Front of Stuff for the Olympics in 1996.  We did not get to see the Dream Team, but we did see Australia play Denmark in baseball, power lifting, the only male American badminton player lose, and the US Women's basketball team annihilate Zaire's team.  That was probably as international flavor as I have ever seen aside from multiple trips to the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.  Considering just how much of a jingo I am, I loved every minute of it.  Unfortunately, being a teenager I imagine I was also a miserable pain in the ass.  Sorry, Mom.  Thanks for taking me to the Olympics!
At the beginning of December I returned to Atlanta, but just for a pit stop between Charleston, SC and Birmingham, AL.  No international competitions this time.


View Larger Map

Instead of visiting the ATL to see the best and brightest in international amateur athletics, Pics of Me in Front of Stuff stopped to get some grub at Gladys Knight and Ron Winans' Chicken and Waffles.  This destination was actually inspired by watching another form of competition - Man vs Food on the Travel Channel.  Adam Richland was in town to tackle the 11-lb Carnivore Pizza Challenge.  Pics of Me in Front of Stuff was not there to gorge itself on copious amounts of pizza and meat.  Hotlanta is only halfway between Charleston and Birmingham and trying to drive with 6+ lbs of dough, meat, and cheese does not me strike as a pleasant proposition.
There was no Midnight Train to or from Gladys and Ron's.

Pics of Me in Front of Stuff decided to focus on Gladys Knight and Ron Winans' Chicken and Waffles.
Before arriving at Gladys Knight's restaurant, I always considered chicken and waffles to include chicken gravy on top of roasted chicken on top of a waffle.  That was probably the Pennsylvania Dutch version. 
You could compare it to an open-faced chicken-waffle sandwich.  I was certainly surprised when this fried chicken version was placed in front of me.  That must be the soul food version.
Fried chicken and waffles?!  Who knew?
I certainly had not considered it.  I now consider it delicious. With a splash of hot sauce, some butter, and some maple syrup and a generous helping of helping myself to some macaroni and cheese this certainly was some excellent comfort food.  Throw in some sweet tea, which was more or less my beverage of choice in the South, and this made me wish Pics of Me in Front of Stuff  had a grandma to make food like this.  Luckily, Gladys and Ron's has multiple locations and Pics of Me in Front of Stuff just needs to find an excuse to visit them.

0 comments: