Sunday, February 21, 2010

No pictures in New Brunswick, NJ

I had an important experience Saturday night at the Harvest Moon Brewery in New Brunswick, NJ though I have only anecdotal evidence.  The Harvest Moon is a nice bar with lots of good beer and a nice mix of people.  It is by no means a college bar despite it's proximity to Rutgers but I have met a number of grad and med students there.  Saturday night was not about the future doctors (M.D. or Ph.D.) present.  No, Saturday night I experienced/witnessed the exact moment when I stopped living in the Sober World of rules and laws and I entered The Bear Fight Zone...


For the uninformed a Bearfight, aside from being a bad idea, is a Jagerbomb followed by an Irish Car Bomb.  It's origin is shrouded in mystery and I have yet to find an excellent description as to where the name came from.  Here's a good reference regarding the Bearfight's mysterious past.  Pics of Me in Front of Stuff has described multiple events involving misadventures that ensued at least partially due to a Bearfight.  There has even been an ode to the drink titled The Summer of the Bearfight.  But never in the two plus years of consuming them has the exact moment in which that door opened and Rod Sirling started talking about imagination and shit happened like it did in New Brunswick, NJ at the Harvest Moon Brewery last Saturday.
To assess the figure above, consider you have to be a less than sober to even consider doing a Bearfight.  No one walks into a bar and immediately plunks down the large sum of cash required to buy both of those drinks for one fast consumption.  No one ever should.  Proper lubrication is required.  I consumed most of a 10-beer sampler of the beer brewed on-premises.  Usually the time post-Bearfight is a slow descent into darkness which has some common characteristics like disappeance (I am looking at you Mets Fan even though you never read this) or finding themselves making out with women of questionable attractiveness (No need to mention names, we've all been there at least once in our lives). 
Some Bearfight related evenings have gone so far as to end in hospitalizations which are not funny until you you pick up one of your friends sitting on a bench outside in a hospital gown.  I have even publicly apologized due to the effects of a Bearfight.  Regardless of how far the evening goes, it is usually over time.  There is usually no point in the night where the sober switch is turned off.  The graph above shows there was no drunken gradient for yours truly Saturday night.  Saturday night I found the switch. The Bartner who was the D.D. was a witness.
This Guy, the usual Bearfight instigator was also present. 
The exact time was not recorded, but in the middle of a conversation I stopped speaking, made a funny face, and then continued on with the conversation.  It was almost like a mini-stroke without the brain damage.  Well...that might not be true, but I do have full use of both sides of my body.  Maybe it was a brain fart.  Maybe it was my brain trying to tell me to stop and go home.  Whatever it was I kept plowing forward shortly afterward.  The brain just received too much alcohol and needed a minute to reboot. 
Anyone else remember the show Reboot?
Supposedly, This Guy laughed at me until the bears went ahead and took a bite out of him, too.  After that point everything is rather blurry.  There are no pictures which might be a good thing.  I have vague recollections of very short women.  Pretty sure there were no pygmies involved, but who knows for sure.  The most important thing is everyone involved got home safely  If I offended any tiny women at the Harvest Moon Brewery, I apologize.  It was not me talking, I was in The Bearfight Zone!

0 comments: