Friday, November 28, 2008

The Mutter Muuseum - Philadelphia, PA


Everyone knows the cliché that a picture is worth a thousand words. Unfortunately, the Mutter Museum does not allow photographs or else this entry would be approximately 1.000.000 words long, minus all the reading that would entail. Rather, I will try to describe the contents of the Mutter Museum in a whole lot less verbiage.

It is beyond my comprehension why certain museums do not allow photography. From athe perspective of medical museums or exhibits like the Mutter Museum or the Bodies Exhibit, I would assume it is a show of respect for the deceased and the deceased's family. However, most of these specimens belongs to people who died over a century ago. If my great-great-great grandfather's gigantic bowel obstruction is found somewhere in the Mutter Museum, I would not care if someone felt the need to document it with their cell phone or digital camera. Hell, I would encourage it if only to spread the dangers of gigantic bowel obstructions. A wonderful thought following the gluttony known as Thanksgiving.
Speaking of the dangers of gigantic bowel obstructions...


This photo of Kim Jong Ill, the North Korean Nuclear antagonist, shows up on google when searching images for 'gigantic bowel obstruction'. If that's the case, they might be more dangerous than I originally thought.

Obstructions of the bowel aside, imagine, since I can not show you any pictures, if medical specimens were baseball cards and kids still put baseball cards in their bicycle spokes. I have trouble with this mental imagery since my parents’ generation was the last to do this. My grandparents were not willing to pay for collectible nostalgia like the generations just previous to mine and those since. My theories on nostalgia purchase aside, this Mutter guy had enough medical specimens to fill all of the bike spokes on the East Coast. They would be disgusting, messy bicycles, but I think my point is clear. The Mutter Museum contains a whole lot of medical specimens, vintage medical equipment, and paraphernalia. It was a sight worth seeing, especially if you had a student ID to take $4 off the entrance fee.

And naturally, here is a picture of me in front of the museum to satisfy those you stuck on the url for this blog.


0 comments: