Thursday, January 22, 2009

NFC Championship Game - Phoenix, AZ

Saturday, January 17th found me on an airplane early in the morning for a cross-country flight from Newark, NJ to Phoenix, AZ. Having witnessed a pair of wins, first by the underdog Arizona Cardinals and then by the Philadelphia Eagles, I was guaranteed a ticket with my father to the NFC Championship game hosted in University of Phoenix Stadium.


By now everyone knows the outcome of this game. I would be lying if I said I was not disappointed by how the contest ended. However, there was a shining time before the game when I was filled with excitement for the upcoming contest.


At least I was excited standing in front of that field. My dad, in contrast to Brian Dawkins and me, looks like I woke him up early from his nap. With a chance to go to the Super Bowl, I hoped B-Dawk and the defense would continue their stellar play that had started 2 months previous. However, the Cardinals quickly dashed those hopes as they scored three touchdowns in the first half and took a 24-6 lead into halftime. I was in a state of shock following the offensive barrage by what ESPN had refered to as one the worst playoff teams ever. It was clear that the Cardinals had used that ranking as motivation and were taking out their frustration on the visiting Eagles' defense in the first half. The most entertaining portion of the first half was the fact that my dad was able to forecast the Cardinals' plays before they ran them. The most impressive feat of fatherly prognostication was the trick play that led to Larry Fitzgerald's 3rd touchdown of the afternoon being preceded by my dad stating 'They're going to run a flea-flicker, I can smell it'. Amazingly, he also used his mysterious olfactory perception to determine how the Cardinals would score their first two touchdowns.

Collective Soul played at halftime. Here is a crappy video of it.








Their performance either caused the Cards to enter a slumber or woke the Eagles from theirs because the Philadelphia offense and defense returned to the field with a vengeance. Donovan McNabb replied to the Kurt Warner-Larry Fitzgerald offensive explosion with a big boom of his own. On the day, Donovan had 375 yards passing along with 3 touchdowns, all of which came in the second half. The Eagles went on to take a 25-24 lead in the fourth quarter. The Eagles fans in front of me somehow had tumbled into the row in front of them following the last score, a 62 yard strike bobbled, but eventually caught by Desean Jackson. Fortunately, no one was crushed by their tumbling bodies. It was a high time for Eagles' fans in the desert. Unfortunately, it would not last. However, the defense could not stifle the Arizona offense for the entire second half. The Cards scored with 2-3 minutes to take a 32-25 lead which would not change for the rest of the game.

Amidst all of the Arizona Cardinals excitement, my fellow Eagles fans skulked out of the University of Phoenix Stadium. The 700 Level compared the devastating effect caused by the end of the game on Eagles' fans to this and, having been there, I cannot help but agree. Fortunately, life goes on...

...and pitchers and catchers report in approximately 3 weeks!


0 comments: