Monday, January 26, 2009

Jockey Hollow - Morristown, NJ

With temperatures dipping to lows that had not been reached in a decade, the question on everyone's mind is 'Where is the global warming?'. There is an excellent scientific answer to that question and I am sure you could find it somewhere on the internet. However, picsofmeinfrontofstuff.blogspot.com should not be your source of scientific information. What you should consider is that although the weather outside is currently frightful, the weather during the winter of 1779-1780 was frightfuler. During the Hard Winter of 1779-1780, the main contingent of the Continental Army was stationed in Morristown, NJ. The American soldiers faced the harsh conditions of a Northeastern winter during a doldrum in fighting that occured as a consequence of 18th Century warfare. So not only were the American soldiers suffering from frostbite and hypothermia, but also boredom since there were no British to kill.
The American soldier of the 18th Century was not the only one known to suffer from boredom during the long cold winter. I too found myself with too much time and too little to do during this harsh winter. After a drive to Morristown, NJ, I soon found myself also suffering the cold in Jockey Hollow, like the Continental soldier.
Unlike the soldier, who according to the recording at the visitors center was often coatless and/or shoeless, I was wearing several layers including but not limited to longjohns and a parka. Located in the park are replicas of the huts in which the soldiers wintered. Even with the parka and long underwear, it was not warm in there either. You can see me poking my head out of the window of one of those cold replica huts.

Considering how cold it was during my visit to Jockey Hollow, I was grateful for the fortitude displayed by George Washington and his Continental troops during the American War for Independence.

0 comments: