Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Voodoo Doughnut - Portland, Oregon

Portland, Oregon is an interesting place.
Portland is the whitest big city in the United States, being over 70 % white according to the most recent census.  Portland was almost named Boston.  Thankfully, the name Portland won on a coin-flip and the West Coast avoided having a second Red Sox franchise and a second set of obnoxious fans who can't say their r's.
They also love their PBR in Portland.
Damn, hipsters.

Finally, Portland is split by the Willamette River with Downtown Portland existing only on the west side of the river.  Not far from the river on 3rd Ave SW is Voodoo Doughnut.
The bakery is famous, at least to me, from appearing on multiple Travel Channel shows including Man vs Food and College Gameday on their trip to Eugene, OR.  On College Gameday, Kirk Herbstreit had a Stanford doughnut, an Oregon doughnut, and a Maple Bacon Bar.  Another reason College Gameday is one of my favorite shows.  Also, their commercials are hilarious!  Voodoo Doughnut is known most for the unique toppings used on said doughnuts.  There are multiple locations, but Pics of Me in Front of Stuff does not visit spin-offs.  Pics of Me in Front of Stuff goes to the original.  Sadly, in addition to photographer and sole contributer I am also the driver and finding your way around Downtown Portland is not a completely simple proposition.  I probably drove by the tiny hole-in-the-wall bakery 3 or 4 times before I saw the line and the sign for my destination.
When I finally got to park, waited in the long line, and managed to get into the tiny hole in the wall bakery I was shocked at the sheer number of combinations of doughnuts and doughnut toppings.  Check out their menu online.  I managed to wade through the huge number of choices because I knew what I wanted before I got there.
The Maple Bacon Bar!
Aside from being the food of the Gods the Maple Bacon Bar is more or less a glazed doughnut with maple flavored icing and bacon on top.  It really is just like someone put their pancake breakfast in doughnut form. The combination of the sweet from the icing and doughnut with the salty and savory from the bacon was supreme.  I'd like to get another while I am writing this from Pics of Me in Front of Stuff Manor in New Jersey.  I doubt they deliver that far.  I recommend you go get one as soon as you travel to Portland again.
They're delicious.

0 comments: