Saturday, September 6, 2008

Everclear at the Union County Music Festival

One of the most exciting moments up to that point in my very young life was going to see Everclear at the Electric Factory in Philadelphia my senior year of high school. I had never driven to the big city sans parents and so visiting Philadelphia at night with my best friend Ben driving was a very exciting time. DJ Spooky, the Black Eyed Peas in the pre-Fergie era, and Soul Coughing opened for Everclear. I remember seeing a couple making out pretty heavily directly in front of me as well landing on people's feet when I jumped up and down with the music. It had been only the second concert I ever attended, preceded by witnessing Genesis live at Veterans Stadium when I was in 5th grade. It truly was an exciting evening though it no longer ranks as highly as it once did.

Fast forward approximately 10 years and 75 miles northeast of Philadelphia and I found myself going to an Everclear concert once again. This time there was no will.i.am. or Super Bon Bon to open for Art Alexakis and company and I was no longer an intimidated 16-year-old in the big city for the first time.

I was a little bit older and a little bit bigger this time around.

Look a those guns!!!

Just like the last time, Everclear rocked even though all but Mr. Alexakis have been replaced. Another difference was the fact that all the Everclear songs to which I knew the words were old school, hard core Everclear.
Here's my personal favorite, "Father of Mine".



I knew all the words. When did I become old?

Regardless of my numerical age or perceived age, the concert rocked. From two concerts in two nights, my ears are currently ringing but both were great. More importantly, Everclear closed out the show with 'Jenny/867-5309' and they proved why it is great to be a rockstar.

0 comments: