Saturday, September 6, 2008

Wild Sweet Orange in Philadelphia

I started this blog because I am obsessed with having my picture taken in front of/with unique/famous people, places, or things. However, this entry contains no pictures of me at all. Still makes for an interesting story, at least to me.

Gabe, my co-worker, invited Kate, another co-worker, and I to a concert featuring Wild Sweet Orange and What Made Milwaukee Famous at The Khyber in Philadelphia on Thursday night because he was 'on the list' (OTL). You know those cool people who to get to go wherever, they are OTL. So by getting us OTL, Gabe was making us some of those cool people.

Wild Sweet Orange is small rock band from Alabama, fronted by Preston Lovingood. Preston's sister married Gabe's cousin so Preston is almost related to Gabe. Therefore Gabe had a connection to get us OTL.

Sweet, that equals free concert at The Khyber in Old City Philly.

So Gabe, Kate, and I journeyed to Philadelphia to visit The Khyber and listen to live music for free since we were OTL. However, when we arrived at the Khyber, at 9PM the designated start time of the concert there was no band and NO LIST! You can not be OTL without the L. WTF?! Since we had driven ~2 hours to get there we forked over the $12 to get in and drink some $2 bottles of Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR).

Fortunately, while we sat and drank our PBR and watched the NFL game of the season Gabe spotted his cousin (for lack of a better description) Preston, mainly by his big, long-haired white boy afro. Gabe would not immediately introduce himself, but with some prodding from Kate, a veteran concert attendee, and a few more ounces of PBR Gabe stuck out his hand and introduced himself. Preston turned out to be a very nice guy and talked to us off and on throughout the night. Best of all, Preston told his tour manager to get us a refund for the cover we had paid pre-L. With the L and the band present, we were OTL and had immediately become cool.

VICTORY!!

Preston also hooked us up with some free Yuenglings, a small improvement over the PBR. Sadly, though Preston hung out with us, I blew my chance to satisfy my photography obsession by my own simple inaction. If he becomes a big rock star I will have to punch myself in the junk.

Overall, the concert was good. Both Wild Sweet Orange and What Made Milwaukee Famous were excellent bands and I plan on borrowing the CDs purchased by Gabe and Kate. Though we did not get home until 2AM on a work night, I would definitely stay out late to be OTL again.

Wild Sweet Orange


What Made Milwaukee Famous

1 comments:

Katerz said...

remind me to let you borrow the CD!